18 February 2009

The Joy of a Daffodil














It catches me by surprise every year. All of a sudden, bright green leaves stand tall above the surrounding groundcover. Soon thereafter, but just as suddenly, cheerful yellow flowers appear atop the leaves.

Every year I see the leaves as though with peripheral vision. I notice the bright green as a sign of spring, and my heart smiles. But I don't remember that they are daffodil leaves, with flowers on the way. The day I notice the flowers, my heart not only smiles but dances.

It's not even a dance for joy in anticipation of the arrival of spring, with its warmer temperatures and longer days. Rather, it's a dance for joy in celebration and appreciation of the beautiful gifts that Nature bestows upon us.

I write today about this, as I realize that I am not alone in my daffodil joy. On two occasions this week, I have heard people sharing their excitement about the arrival of daffodils. I couldn't help but to smile with them.

And, apparently, the joy is not restricted to humankind. Mikasi, when let out into a whole yard full of sunshine, finds a napping space among the daffodils, time after time.


May the joy of a daffodil touch you and invite your heart to dance!

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention daffodils. Yesterday, I got lost leaving Durham and ended up turning down a road at the end of which I found a troop of young deer, wanting to cross the dead-end road. I headed them off at the pass, feeling they might be safer in the woods they came out of (like what did I know), but I got some adorable photos - curious young deer. And while I was out trying to catch them again, I found my first daffodils. See my most recent 3 posts: http://roundaboutapex.blogspot.com/.

    Celebrating precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I had to read this post when I saw the title! I grew up on a farm and the first sign of daffodils always meant the end of chopping and hauling wood (at least for a couple of seasons). Their simplicity and brilliance bring me a sense of peace...and a smile to my face. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alaskan Aunt Susan15 April, 2009 03:29

    Our local newspaper has a "man on the street" question once a week, and recently there was one about what makes you think "Spring"...one woman said "when daffodils are in the grocery store". Remember, we ARE in Alaska! And it is so true (sad, I know). I sure enjoyed seeing the pictures of them growing right out of the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, I love your flower.

    ReplyDelete